The International Center for Transitional Justice (ICTJ) and the Special Court for Sierra Leone (SCSL), with support from the Government of Canada, are pleased to announce an expert meeting on Exploring the Legacy of the Special Court for Sierra Leone.
This expert group meeting will take place in Freetown on 6-7 February, 2013 at the future site of the Peace Museum on the Special Court premises.
The Freetown conference will address:
• Sustainability and implementation of the various legacy projects associated with the Court;
• Impact of the Court on impunity and accountability domestically and in the region;
• Contributions of the SCSL to the rule of law, legacy and residual issues;
• Relationship between the Court and civil society;
• Lessons learned in regards to the prosecution of sexual violence and gender-based crimes.
Invitees include senior officials of the Government of Sierra Leone, paramount chiefs representing each district, state representatives, development agencies, former and current staff of the SCSL, and other international criminal courts and tribunals, and local and international civil society actors interested in the legacy of the Court.
An agenda for the meeting will be posted on this website closer to the meeting date.